Sunday, February 18, 2018

Child Abuse Awareness Month Educates Lubbock

April 30, 2015 by · Leave a Comment 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Each year, 2.9 million cases of child abuse are reported in the United States. Today, 185 Texas children will be victims, and four children are abused or neglected everyday right here in Lubbock.

Lubbock continues to rank among the counties with the highest cases of child abuse or neglect reported to child protective services in Texas. Each April the community comes together to raise awareness of the issue in any way they can.

“I think it is important that we recognize that its an issue, here in Lubbock, and work towards changing it,” said Amanda Lund, a sophomore education major and member of Kappa Delta sorority.

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month. Since 1981, Kappa Deltas across the country have donated more than $15 million to help put an end to child abuse.

“Kappa Deltas chapter at Texas Tech is important because Lubbock has the highest rate of child abuse in the state,” said Lund. “We have the opportunity to make a difference right at the heart of the issue.”

Kappa Delta holds a Shamrock themed See Saw event that lasts 48 hours, raising awareness to help prevent child abuse. This past month, they raised $25,200 with 20 percent donated nationally to Prevent Child Abuse America and the remaining 80 percent given right back here in Lubbock, to the Children’s Advocacy Center of the South Plains.

“It’s so great that we have a program here in Lubbock the Children’s Advocacy Center of the South Plains and so it’s awesome how we can give 80 percent of whatever we raise to them,” said Julie Williams the Vice President of Community Services for Kappa Delta.

April was first declared Child Abuse Prevention month by Presidential proclamation in 1983 since then April has been a time to acknowledge the importance of families and communities working together to prevent Child Abuse.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.